Recipe: Vegan Red Wine Poached Pears
Vegan Red Wine Poached Pears are a sophisticated and elegant dessert that is both easy to make and vegan-friendly. The combination of red wine and poached pears creates a warm, comforting flavour that is perfect for cooler months. This recipe is ideal for entertaining guests or enjoying on a cosy night in. The poached pears can be served alone, or with a dollop of coconut cream or vegan ice cream.
- 4 pears (firm but ripe)
- 750ml vegan red wine
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 4 cloves
- 1 orange (peeled and sliced)
- 1 lemon (peeled and sliced)
- Peel the pears, leaving the stem intact. Cut a small slice off the bottom of each pear to create a flat surface, allowing them to stand up straight.
- In a large pot, combine the red wine, water, sugar, cinnamon sticks, cloves, orange slices, and lemon slices. Bring the mixture to a boil, stirring occasionally to dissolve the sugar.
- Once the mixture has boiled, reduce the heat to a simmer and add the pears to the pot. Simmer for approximately 30 minutes, or until the pears are tender but still hold their shape.
- Remove the pears from the pot using a slotted spoon and set them aside on a plate. Discard the cinnamon sticks, cloves, orange slices, and lemon slices.
- Increase the heat of the remaining liquid and boil until it reduces to a thick syrup, about 15-20 minutes.
- Serve the pears warm or chilled, drizzled with the syrup. Optionally, top with a dollop of coconut cream or vegan ice cream.
Enjoy your delicious vegan red wine poached pears!