Recipe: Vegan Spaghetti Bolognese
Spaghetti Bolognese is a classic Italian dish that's loved around the world. Traditionally, it's made with ground beef, but this vegan version uses protein-rich lentils and vegan red wine to create a rich, savoury flavour. This recipe is easy to make, packed with nutrients, and perfect for a comforting dinner. Serve it over spaghetti or your favourite pasta for a delicious and satisfying meal.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 medium carrots, finely chopped
- 2 celery stalks, finely chopped
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp dried basil
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 cup red lentils, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup vegan red wine
- 1 can (400g) chopped tomatoes
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- Fresh parsley, chopped (for garnish)
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the carrots, celery, thyme, oregano, basil, smoked paprika, salt, and black pepper. Stir well and cook for 5 minutes, until the vegetables start to soften.
- Add the lentils, vegetable broth, red wine, chopped tomatoes, tomato paste, balsamic vinegar, and soy sauce to the pot. Stir well to combine.
- Bring the mixture to a simmer and reduce the heat to low. Cover and cook for 30-40 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the lentils are tender and the sauce has thickened.
- Serve the Vegan Spaghetti Bolognese over spaghetti or your favourite pasta. Garnish with chopped parsley.
Enjoy your delicious and vegan Spaghetti Bolognese, a comforting and flavourful dish that's easy to make and packed with nutrients.