Environmental Policy Statement
DEFY is committed to leading the industry in minimising the impact of its activities on the environment.
The key points of its strategy to achieve this are:
- Minimise waste by evaluating operations and ensuring they are as efficient as possible.
- Minimise toxic emissions through the selection and use of its fleet and the source of its power requirement.
- Actively promote recycling both internally and amongst its customers and suppliers.
- Source and promote a product range to minimise the environmental impact of both production and distribution.
- Meet or exceed all the environmental legislation that relates to the Company.
- Use an accredited program to offset the greenhouse gas emissions generated by our activities.
Acting on Climate Change
Reducing our direct emissions
We believe that urgent and holistic action is required to tackle climate change.
Since we started we have been producing wine for people in more eco-friendly ways resulting in over 60% less CO2 produced than traditional wine. But we recognise we need to do more and are committed to act in line with the 2017 Paris Agreement’s stretch goal of limiting global temperature rise to 1.5 degrees Celsius above pre-industrial levels.
We believe in doing our fair share to produce high-quality products in an environmentally friendly way. Some of the things we are doing:
Reduce absolute greenhouse gas emissions
This means that even as we grow as a business, we will be looking to reduce our emissions focusing on improving energy efficiency and exploring alternatives to the use of natural gas in our kitchens and diesel in our fleet.
Offsetting the carbon footprint of our direct operations
When it comes to carbon emissions, we believe the best approach is to reduce first and then offset. With plans in place to achieve reductions in line with our science base target we have decided to offset our Scope 1 and 2 carbon emission as we work towards Net Zero. Through these offsets we are carbon neutral in our direct operations.
Reducing our broader carbon footprint
Continuing to work with renewable and recyclable materials that already have a lower carbon footprint that traditional wine-making practices as well as working on lower-impact shipping and transport methods, using zero plastics and partnering with other suppliers who operate with the same goals.